Monday, December 12, 2011

Microsoft Picture Fax Viewer problem

With picasa and a host of other picture viewing programs, the default image viewer Microsoft's Picture and Fax Viewer kind of went into oblivion for me. One fine day, I wanted to use it for viewing images (out of pure nostalgia) and found out that it was not getting listed at all in my "Open with" menu. I also was not able to find it through any program. After googling, I found out that it is actually a DLL, shimgvw.dll and needs to be launched with rundll32.exe. So, I tried that. I typed

rundll32 shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

both in "Run" prompt as well as from the command line. Both gave me an error. "Missing entry ImageView_Fullscreen". None of the forums seem to have given a solution to fix this issue. After some more unlucky searches, I ended up with this command to be run. In the command line, run "regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll" (without the quotes). It should say "registered successfully". Voila, my problem was solved. The viewer started appearing in my right click menu. I still do not know how it vanished in the first place. But, atleast I know how to bring it back.

1 comment:

Rentsbd said...

It can be challenging to find an office space for rent in Dhaka. There are lots of essential things to consider choosing the best office space within your budget. Otherwise, you may end up making a wrong decision and regret it later. Are you feeling worried about Office for rent in Dhaka?

Through this article, I am going to provide you with the solution. I am going to share 5 important steps that will assist you to rent an office within Dhaka city. Moreover, I am going to inform you how to find the best commercial spaces for rent in Dhaka.